The main objective of this session is to give you an overview of corporate use of social media in business communications. By the time the session is over, you should be able to understand how your use of social media both at and outside of work can reflect on the company; recognize effective use of social media in corporate communications; see that actions taken in the workplace, even with personal electronic equipment, are covered by
workplace rules; understand that even personal social networking sites can affect the company and your employment; know your rights with respect to personal electronic equipment and social networking accounts; and see and understand how your company is using social media to further business goals.
Why “Communication Through Social Media” Matters:
Understanding how business communication is changing as technology evolves is essential. The rise of social media has led to new methods companies can use to communicate with their workforce, get their message out, and build their brand.
- Harassment can occur outside the workplace;
- Personal electronic devices can be used to harass;
- Social media sites are a medium for harassment;
- Electronic communications stay around for a long time; and
- Employees should behave toward coworkers the same in cyberspace as they do in person.