The main objective of this particular session is to help you understand what depression is and how you can help employees who are dealing with it. By the end of the session, you will be able to understand what depression is, know the causes and symptoms, understand how it can affect work, know what the law says, and learn how to manage employees with depression.
Why “Depression” Matters:
- 18.8 million American adults, or 9.5% of the adult population, suffer from a depressive illness.
- People with depression miss about 19 workdays and suffer 46 days of reduced productivity a year.
- Nationally, depression is estimated to cause 200 million lost workdays each year at a cost to employers of up to $44 billion.
- Depression is a serious and widespread illness.
- Depression can have a big impact on workplace productivity.
- Depression is highly treatable and may be covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Know about the tools available to you to help employees suffering from depression.