The main objective of this session is to help you understand the importance of campus diversity and how you can support it for the benefit of the community. By the time this session is over, you should be able to understand how the changing face of America can benefit the on-campus community; understand, accept, and respect personal differences; become familiar with some basic techniques to help you communicate better with the different members of your population; help encourage your students to seek out ways to embrace diversity in their community; understand how to deal with conflict when it comes to diversity; and know some methods of developing a good on-campus diversity plan.
Why “Diversity on Campus” Matters:
- Diversity is not going to stop growing.
- Encouraging growth in diversity will ensure a more stable and promising campus.
- Diversity creates a better place for everyone involved with the school.
- It is essential to embrace diversity as our college campuses grow more diverse every year.
- Acceptance and respect go a long way to bridging the gap to embracing your diverse community members.
- Expand your horizons, as well as your students’ horizons. Appreciate your differences and open your mind to see new perspectives. Experiencing the diverse programs schools offer can be a terrific way of enhancing the college experience.
- Think about how you address your diverse students and coworkers and practice effective approaches.
- Know your state laws regarding your rights when it comes to harassment and discrimination.
- Make sure your campus has a plan or policy to deal with diversity and conflict and become familiar with it.