All managers and supervisors are, by definition, leaders in their workplace. Critical leadership skills are necessary for success as a supervisor or manager. The main objective of this session is to discuss the important supervisory and managerial topic of leadership and explain how you can become a more effective leader. By the time this session is over, you should be able to:
- Identify the qualities of effective leaders;
- Understand different leadership styles;
- Build credibility and trust;
- Use leadership techniques to ensure success;
- Lead teams effectively; and
- Lead employees skillfully in challenging times of change.
Why “Leadership Skills: What New Managers and Supervisors Need to Know” Matters:
Leadership is an essential skill for all supervisors and managers, especially if you are new to the job.
Truly successful supervisors and managers don’t “boss” their employees; they lead them.
It’s through effective leadership that employees are motivated to perform at their best.
It’s through effective leadership that goals are achieved and your department meets productivity, quality, service, and safety standards.
- The most effective supervisors and managers are always skillful leaders.
- Leadership skills help you motivate and guide workers to perform at their best.
- Good leaders develop loyal and productive employees who make important contributions to the organization.
- Leadership skills can be learned and developed.