The overall goal of this training is to prevent serious chemical accidents that may cause injury to you and impact public health and the environment. By the end of the training session, you will be able to:
- Identify the dangers of highly hazardous chemicals present in your facility;
- Safely follow standard operating procedures;
- Avoid or correct hazards and unsafe conditions; and
- Respond to emergencies.
Why “Process Safety Management” Matters:
Welcome to the training session on safely using, handling, moving, and storing highly hazardous chemicals. This training session is for employees and employees of contractors who work with processes that involve highly hazardous chemicals. It is designed for workplaces covered under the Occupational Safety and Heath Administration’s (OSHA) Process Safety Management Standard (29 CFR 1910.119). It will cover the procedures for safely handling highly hazardous chemicals and operating a chemical process that involves such chemicals.
- Chemical process accidents can cause severe injury, death, and damage to property and the environment;
- Read SDSs for chemicals;
- Follow operating and maintenance procedures without deviation; and
- Always watch for potential unsafe conditions, such as leaks, corrosion, faulty equipment, and combustibles near chemical processes.