Pesticides help us protect plants so that they can grow strong and healthy. We depend on pesticides to help us grow most of the fruits and vegetables we eat. But although pesticides are an essential part of modern agriculture, they can also be hazardous unless they are used properly. If you handle pesticides on the job or work in areas where pesticides are used, you need to know the precautions you must take to protect your health and safety.
Why “Working Safely with Pesticides” Matters:
If you’re working with pesticides, you need to know how to recognize the hazards and health effects that can result from pesticide use and how to get necessary information about health and safety.
Working with pesticides means you must understand entry restrictions.
Knowing how to use pesticide application equipment safely is vital to your safety and the environment.
Understanding the importance of personal protective equipment (PPE) and proper hygiene will keep you safe and healthy when working with pesticides.
You need to know what to do in an emergency involving exposure to pesticides.
- Understand pesticide hazards.
- Read container labels and heed warning signs and oral warnings.
- Stay out of restricted areas unless you are properly trained and equipped.
- Use pesticide application equipment properly.
- Wear required PPE and practice good hygiene.
- Know what to do in an emergency.