The main objective of this course is to provide you with the information you need to use personal protective equipment (PPE) effectively to protect your health and safety on the job. By the time the course is over, you will be able to understand the PPE hazard assessment process, understand how to appropriately match PPE to the hazard while adhering to California requirements, and know how to properly wear and care for PPE.
Why “Your Guide to Personal Protective Equipment in California” Matters:
In 2011, 275 California workers died from accidents. PPE is important because it is your personal barrier against workplace hazards. It is often the only thing standing between you and serious injury—in fact, your PPE could save your life. There’s never any good excuse for not wearing assigned PPE. You just can’t afford to be without it. And you have to know what type of PPE to use, when to use it, and how to use it properly.
- Every job function must be assessed for hazards.
- Each part of the body is taken into consideration during assessments.
- PPE is selected in response to specific hazards.
- Proper wear and care of PPE are necessary to provide effective protection.
- Not adhering to federal and state PPE standards can result in fines and shutdowns from Cal/OSHA.